Reasons to have a Carbon Monoxide detector
Every year, almost 200 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning, with thousands more visiting the emergency room. Many victims die in their sleep without ever knowing that a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas is slowly killing them. Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel is not completely burned. If you have an appliance that uses natural gas such as a stove or clothes dryer, or you have a fireplace or a space heater, you are at risk for carbon monoxide exposure. Any home heating system that burns fuel like natural gas or propane is also a potential risk.
What You Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide Detectors
And if it goes off? Stay calm and check to see if anyone is feeling symptoms like headache, dizziness or nausea. If so, call 911 and get everyone outside for some fresh air. If everyone feels OK, check to make sure that the gas powered appliance or heat source is turned off and make arrangements to get repaired. Remember that you can't see, smell or taste the gas. You have to trust the detector that it's there.
You might want to visit our Air Quality Experts page for more information.